Thursday, February 2, 2012

Halflings- Heather Burch


Halflings- Heather Burch

                I received this book from Zondervan on NetGalley.com on my Kindle and just finished reading it.  First the summary curtsey of goodreads.com:


After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.

          
      Now my thoughts on the book.  I enjoyed reading it.  Angels.  There are tons of angel books out right now but this one has a different take and I didn't find myself thinking I had already read this.  To me the book stood out.

                The internal struggle of the main character Nikki was well thought out and very intense at times.  We also see it with Mace and Raven too but in smaller doses, as the majority was through Nikki.  I as a reader felt like I could feel what Nikki was going through by the insights into to what was going on in her head and what makes her unique.

                The whole story also has beautiful imagery as well as indulging the other senses.  From the stench of hell hounds and the peculiar scents everyone and everything gives off.
 
                This is the first book in a series and I can’t wait until the sequel comes out so I can continue on the journey and find out more about Nikki and this world.  I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eve,

    Thanks for posting a review for Halflings!

    I wanted to invite you to The Halflings Network: a place where fans can talk about the book, chat with author Heather Burch, enter giveaways, and get updates on the next book in the series. We also have a free illustrated eBook prequel that I think you'd really enjoy. Feel free to check it out at Halflings.ning.com.

    Thanks again for your great review, we really appreciate it!

    Grant
    Zondervan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Grant. I'll check it out.

      Delete