Saturday, June 14, 2014

Contact by Laurisa White Reyes

                Hello All!  I am on my first day off from my brand new job and I love it.  The new schedule is not set yet as I'll be moving around with trainings and such but yeah the first week I think the pure excitement was too much for me.  I was wide awake at work but then at home between 6pm-7pm I was passed out on the couch trying to watch a show, read, type, whatever until the next morning.  Anyways I think I have managed to get a handle on that, mostly by avoiding the couch at that window lol.  And the week before was running around finishing paperwork and getting parking permits and IDs and letting my old job know and saying goodbye to people there, moving jobs is crazy busy .  But now I'm off and have some reviews to type.
               

                Now I was provided Contact by LaurisaWhite Reyes by NetGalley and Hallowed Ink Press to read and review.  This is an ARC and is set to come out June 23rd.  This is a story about a girl, Mira, who tries to kill herself.  We join her after her second failed attempt.  She isn't depressed and suicidal as you might initially think, no she has a deeper reason.  Every time she comes into contact with someone, skin to skin, for even just a second she can see everything about the person.  Their whole psyche loads into hers and it sucks.  Not only does it hurt physically but she also feels so alone.  And on top of all of that her father is ruining for political office and is being investigated for several deaths during testing for the miracle drug he helped pioneer. 

                 I clicked on this book first because the cover caught my eye.  A beautiful girl with an cracked glass background in cool colors and font clutching an old school record, I was curious to know more.This book was pretty interesting.  It was set in modern day and I'd even say not a fantasy or sci-fi really.  Sure the seeing peoples mind is a bit fantasy but its more a symptom and the rest of the story is about a mystery and a girls struggle to deal with her life and everything in it.  She has family issues including a father who seems somewhat aloof and distant but whom she with her 'stunts' is clearly bringing more bad press to him.  Oh and did I mention this drug also is mandated now because it cures, you guessed it, depression so when your daughter is still suicidal it raises questions. 


                Mira is a solid character for me that has a lot of things going on in her head and heart and doesn't know what she wants anymore.  That's pretty much something everyone can relate to.  Then we have David, a guy she meets in the most interesting way, who seems drawn to her and despite her rationalizations she is drawn to him.  When you can't touch another person being around a boy that makes you want to touch is a conundrum.  As her life starts to spiral David is there to help her search for answers and keep her sane while maybe even bring her through this. 

                The story itself as I mentioned is more of a mystery than a fantasy as Mira and David search for clues about what she is and just what really happened in those trials.  It’s a dangerous game filled with excitement and intrigue so enjoy the ride.  I give Contact 4 Stars.  I enjoyed it and read through it pretty quickly, less than a day really.  It has a little bit of everything in there for you and  keep you going  to the last page.  Now it is currently only listed as a single book with nothing to indicate, that I have found, a start to a series but the book.  It ends but and you are okay with the ending but there was the option to continue so if the story of Mira does continue I look forward to reading it.   So check out Contact when it comes out soon on June 23rd.

                So I'm aiming for Monday to have my review of The Culling by J.C. Andrijeski ready to post.  But in the mean time, I adore all of you who take the time to read my blog and my ramblings about everything but I would love to hear from you as well.  So I ask you all, would you like the ability to read others minds/see their past?  Would you think of it as a curse or a gift?  Share your thoughts below please and stay tuned!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting such a nice review. I've added a link to this review on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always happy to help spread the word and review books I read.

    ReplyDelete