Friday, January 6, 2017

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Rave Cycle #3)

                Hello happy readers to the first review of 2017.  This will come as no shock I’m still catching up on reviews of books I did read last year.  The first is BlueLily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater the third book in The Raven Cycle.  First I went to start my review of The Raven King and series as a whole when I realized I went straight from book three to the final book and never got to review it.  How this happened is beyond me but still.  I finished the whole series last year and I can’t wait to share my thoughts on the last book and series as a whole but first we have to catch up.  My previous reviews for The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves.  This will contain spoilers for the first two books in case you’re new to this.  Also I listed to this on audiobook.

Rating:  5 Stars

                Blue has more than she has in most of her life in the form of friends and a place with them where she feels she belongs.  She among her Raven Boys the last place she ever would have expected.  Still even though her mother disappeared on a personal quest, leaving her new assassin boyfriend Mr. Grey with them Blue has much and is scared to lose it.  We have still have Gansey’s fate she saw back in book one and her own curse hanging over her head.  Ronan has this huge ability to dream things into life, and we are still searching for Glendower our Welsh King hoping he will grant a wish. 

                Blue Lily, Lily Blue had so much happen in it yet it still seemed to have a bit of a slower pace and focus more on characters which I enjoyed.  There was so much character work in these and I really enjoyed it because the characters of this story are what really drive it home.  Blue and her Raven Boys.  There is a quote in the book which I have seen many mention as a favorite from the book and for good reason, it just fits.

“But what she didn’t realize about Blue and her boys was that they were all in love with one another.  She was no less obsessed with them than they were with her, or one another, analyzing every conversation and gesture, drawing out every joke into a longer and longer running gag, spending each moment either with one another or thinking about when next they would be with one another.”

                The story is so otherworldly and complex and yet some simple and true that it’s hard to really explain it to anyone.  At least that seems to be how things go with me.  Blue, Gansey, Ronan, and Adam all must go back to school adding a sense of contrast to their summer spending all day and night looking for the sleeping king.  Now they have to focus on mundane tasks like school as well. 

                Blue is still Blue.  She is the character I fell in love with in book one.  She has this quality about her that makes you want to hug her and be her friend.  Even more so now as Mara is missing and she has to deal with many other emotional issues from boys, deaths, evil bad guys, supernatural evils and so much more.  A girl could really use her mom.  Still the rest of the ladies in 300 Fox Way really help balance the story.  Each one is unique and has a personality more than just to help the story along. 

                Gansey is much the same as the guy we got to know.  He has a good heart and soul.  He’s determined to find his sleeping king.  He doesn’t always understand how others take his words but he is never cruel. You grow to love him even more which only breaks your heart.  The romance developing between him and Blue, their moments of togetherness.  They are so sweet and adorable you want nothing more than to have them kiss but you also are terrified of that same thing.  It wrings you heart all up for sure.  Plus with that we also get to see more of Gansey and his panic attacks, more of who he is which is always desired.

                Noah is fading and it breaks your heart to see him sometimes.  Still his presence is always welcome and wanted.

                Ronan is….well he’s Ronan.  I don’t know how else to describe him.  He is who he is and after learning about him in the last book and seeing things from his perspective, seeing him again from others eyes really shows more.  He has so much more to him than being angry and jerk like.  He is there for his friends no matter what and he will take on any punishment or pain to protect those whom he deems friend.  So much depth to him, I mean he has been through so much.

                Adam was a character who in the last book kind of had me wavering on him as he was so quick to anger and his pride was too strong that it hurt him in many cases. But in Blue Lily, Lily Blue he really came back around for me.  He seemed to open up more as a character and grew so much.  He also started to see past some of his issues which I loved him for.  The majority of the scenes he shares with Ronan and the combination of them really works on balancing one another off.

                We also had some other great characters in this we got to see Greenmantle and Piper who were flat out insane.  I wanted to hate them because they were just so down right bad but they were so damn funny about it I kind of wanted to see more of what they would do next.  The back and forth between them was just on point.  Plus Mallory came for a visit with Dog which not only gave a view into the Gansey of the past but gave a more contrast of ideas.  Jessie Dittley and his curse and constant yell speak to Gwenllian whom is crazy and also due to the audiobook why I keep repeating “Blue Lily, Lily Blue” in a sing-song voice.  To all the women at 200 Fox Way.  Cabeswater is a character in and of itself between working through Adam and learning more and more of what it is and what it can do it just draws you in as a real living thing. 

                The story continues to draw you into the world.  You want to keep on the search for the sleeping king but motivations and desires change at every turn.  Why you searched in the start and why you still search.  So many subplots all working together for a much larger picture.  The audiobook was amazing for me in that it allowed me to simply close my eyes, when I wasn’t driving that is, and just envision it.  Let Stiefvater’s words flow over and into me in that magical way like I was there with Blue and the Raven Boys.  So many things happened throughout and the deaths and twists came as a shock and brought a tear to my eye even while I felt conflicted by some.  I was eager to dive right into book four when I finished and that is just what I did.  I highly recommend. 


                Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment