Monday, July 31, 2017

Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2)

                Hello happy readers!  I hope you all had a great weekend.  I worked but got to get some reading time in while there so cheers.  I was able to finish up an audiobook, Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands #2) by Alwyn Hamilton the sequel to Rebel of the Sands which I reviewed recently here.  After finishing book one I was so excited to be able to dive right into book two.  While I am thrilled to have read it I am sad I now have to wait until next year for the conclusion.  Sigh.  But in the mean time I can share my thoughts on this book.  Spoilers for book one…duh.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

                We pick up shortly after we left off.  Amani finds herself at the center of the revolution.  She wanted to find freedom for herself and found herself fighting for the freedom of the nation from the sultan.  She has been running missing and working with the crew for a little while and many battles have been fought.  Through a series of events Amani finds herself in the Sultan’s palace.  She is a prisioner but determined to uncover any secrets she can while there.  As she spends more time in the palace she begins to see another side to their war as well as the similarities and differences between the sultan and her two princes.  What is best for Miraji and the Blue-Eyes Bandit from the desert?

                When we left off I was so excited to see what would happen next.  For the rebellion and even more for Amani and Jin since I was seriously shipping them.  But Jin is gone.  He ran away when she was injured unable to be there for it.  I was upset, understandably like Amani was.  Then when he does reappear he leaves much to be desired.  My favorite thing about this is that Amani is upset about this and doesn’t just let it drop instantly. A personal pet peeve of mine is when someone, specifically those I’m supposed to root for or ship, does something to make me upset then never has to apologize/fix things.  So to have it addressed is huge plus for me.  Now for Amani she is pretty amazing.  She has really come into her own since discovering she is a Djinn. 

                We get to find out more about the politics of the world and even more about magic.  New concepts and ideas are shown that really blow you away.  New allies are made and new enemies discovered.  I love how twisty and turny it was.  There are so many people who have different loyalties and reasons to fight on both sides the story keeps you pulled in from the start.  The connections between characters, the different relationships both platonic and romantic are gripping and get you excited for more.  Even as we are hit with emotional loses, this is war.  I was watery at times not just because of the death but because of the reaction of those they loved.  That hit you in the feels hard.  Still there is so much hope in this story and I love it for that.  I can't wait for next year to see the conclusion to the series and what becomes of Amani and all of Miraji.


                Until next time… 

No comments:

Post a Comment