Monday, November 20, 2017

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

                Hello happy readers!  I hope you all had a great weekend.  I did a night shift rotation this weekend and got a bit off schedule but being close to the holiday I had lots of free time and got to catch up on this season of Outlander so it was a win!  That said today aside from doing some baking I am pleased to share my thoughts and feelings on a book that has been on my shelf for a very long while that I just now am getting into, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before #1) by Jenny Han.  I have been wanting to read this series since day one but it always got pushed back but after I snagged the first two books on audible for a 2 for 1 credit deal I couldn’t hold off any longer. 

Rating:  5 Love Letters

                I couldn’t help myself.

                To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a sweet story of Lara Jean who keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.  She hasn’t received love letters, no these are the letters she has written each time she has fallen for someone.  She is able to pour her heart into them and seal them away giving herself a sense of closure knowing no one will ever see them.  Until one day her letters are sent out and her love life goes a bit crazy.

                The concept for this alone had me hooked.  I know I would be mortified if someone ever read my journal, be it my high school one or my current one.  There is just something about knowing no one will ever read it that lets you be brutally honest.  It’s cathartic.  I was instantly drawn into this world with sweet Laura Jean and her sisters.  I loved their bond.  It has ups and downs which I think most families have.  I also enjoyed the way it dealt with someone being close with the whole family breaking up with one and how it leaves the uncertainty with the rest.  It really has a lot of heart to it.

 “I’m always wondering about the what-its, about the road not taking.”

                The chapters were all super-fast and I listened to it in just a couple of short sittings and each time I never really wanted to turn it off.  I was on the fence at times as to what I wanted to happen for the characters as Lara Jean is thrust into this new world.  Stuck between everything being a first and new and also fake but also good that in between feeling.  I could feel for her even when she blundered many things because I could see where she was coming from and it endured her to me.  This book just hit me in the feels and had me ‘aweing’ A LOT!  I also randomly busted out laughing many times, one HP moment in particular reminded me of me and my friends. 

“If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms.”

                My only complaint is the ending was a bit complicated.  I had to go back and listen to a small part to make sure I got it and it also left off with many things unresolved.  Yes I understand there is another two book for which I am diving into ASAP (already have book 2 ready to start but had to get my thoughts to paper on book 1 first so I didn’t risk mixing them up) but some of the things that seemed somewhat resolved to Lara Jean were still a bit iffy for me.  I’m still rating this 5 Stars and in love with it and all the feels but I am hoping that those iffy things are resolved in the books to come and don’t hold me back.  Well that is it off to start P.S. I Still Love You.


                Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I loved it so much as soon as I typed up this review I was free to start listening to book 2.

      Delete