Monday, May 14, 2018

King's Cage (Red Queen #3)


                Hello happy readers!  I previously reviewed the first two books Red Queen and Glass Sword and waited as close to the release of the final book War Storm as possible to finish book three so I wouldn’t have long to wait.  Yep any time waiting was too much.  This author really knows how to sucker punch you with a cliff hanger that’s for sure.  So here are my thoughts on King’sCage (Red Queen #3) by Victoria Aveyard, spoilers for the first two books duh.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

                Mare, the Lightning Girl, is a prisoner to the boy king.  She gave herself over to him to save her friends and now she lives each day wondering what new horror she will face above the constant weakness of silence.  Maven has his little red pet but his grip on his country is far from firm as the Scarlet Guard continue to fight on.  It is no longer a right of Red on Silver or Newbloods.  Alliances, blood, abilities, it all forms and turns on itself as the battles grow stronger, leading to all out war!

                Okay first of all the ending of the last one was horrible.  I knew this was supposed to have a bad cliffhanger as well so I held off until close to release of the final book, still knowing didn’t prepare me.  I didn’t think anything could be worse than Shade.  Okay it probably still is the worst but this one breaks your heart in a different way.  It all continues to build upon itself as things grow and grow with the different splinters widening and spreading.  I loved seeing the slow boil inside the court as things began to happen.  Seeing from Mare as she was broken a little more each day was so very hard, because even when she wasn't my favorite and made some questionable decisions there are just some things no one should have to live through.  Okay maybe a few people but not anyone you even remotely like.    

                Speaking of liking characters.  I enjoyed in this that we got some new POV’s including that of someone I never thought I’d enjoy, Evangeline.  Yes we hear from a Silver POV in small parts though the vast majority I still Mare’s story.  This works for many different reasons the first being practicality given Mare is a prisoner and we need a way to see things she’s not privy to both in the castle and the rebellion (Cameron) and secondly it provides a deeper understanding for other character that I personally didn’t like as much.  With Cameron I didn’t want her dead like with Evangeline (seriously book one I just wanted her fried) but more that her attitude grated on me but seeing what she normally kept to herself I grew to enjoy her.  I even grew to understand if not respect in a small way Evangeline which is a miracle in and of itself.  We of course also see more of our other characters on all sides and even get to meet several new ones both on team good and evil. 
               
                All in all the final book comes out tomorrow and I can't wait to dive right in and see where these characters and this war is going to end up.  There are so many wheels spinning I can't wait to see where they end up and who is left standing at the end.  So many possibilities and to be honest I'm not 100% sure which one I want to happen more.  I'm hoping my heart will heal and I won't be broken even more but I don't have high hopes there as I think these books have always shown they can and will be ruthless just like war itself.  So now I just have to buckle up and hold on. 

                Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get through book 2 and gave up on the series but I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it some more. And I hope you'll enjoy the last book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the series isn't for everyone like most things. I am enjoying it and thus far the final book is really good and I have lots of opinions I'm holding in until I finish!!!

      Delete