Friday, March 9, 2012

Movies, Movies, Movies...


                So it’s been a while since newer movie reviews but given my current situation it cannot be helped.  I have managed to see three movies that are still in theatres, however.  They are different types of movies which I’m sure by now you have come to realize about me, I go from one extreme to another.  So here goes.
               
                First we have The Vow, featuring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams.  Now I knew going into this movie that it was going to be both romantic and sad and more than likely the girl part of me would end up teary eyed at least once.  I wasn’t wrong. 

                I was excited to see these two actors play out this movie because of their respective roles in different Nicholas Sparks movies which made me tear up.  Channing Tatum in Dear John, and Rachel McAdams in The Notebook.  Each had in my opinion played those roles so well and pulled at my heart strings I couldn’t want to see what they did together in the same romantic movie.  And I was not disappointed. 

                This is a tale of a couple who are very much in love and quirky and different.  Everything is going great until a car accident.  Paige (McAdams) wakes up after it and has no recollection of the last few years of her life.  She doesn’t remember leaving law school, moving to the city, becoming a sculptor, or meeting Leo (Tatum).  Are you heartbroken yet?  The movie plays out in both times.  You see the here and now, Leo trying to win her heart all over again, made even harder right now that she remembers being engaged to someone else, while also flash backs to their life. 

                The movie was touching, romantic, sweet, funny, heartbreaking and so many other things.  I enjoyed myself.  I was happy and sad and taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotion but it was a good trip. 
               

Rating:  5 Stars


                Next we have the romantic comedy This Means War, featuring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy.  Now this is more of a comedy than anything else and I was laughing so hard it hurt.  Sure some of it is predictable but it was too good to matter.

                Two best friends and partners FDR (Pine) and Tuck (Hardy) get grounded after a mishap on their last assignment.  Tuck starts thinking about love and wanting someone to spend his life with.  He has a young son but the mother and him are not together.  Deciding to give it a try he tries online dating, which is mocked by FDR.  Lauren (Witherspoon) is single and has no dating life.  She works as a product tester (which might I say sounds like an awesome job), and has a best friend Trish (Chelsea Handler) whom she talks about everything too and takes it upon herself to post a profile on an online dating site.

                Lauren then ends up meeting both Tuck and FDR on the same day and ends up simultaneously dating both.  They figure it out and decide to let her decide, keeping that they know each other to themselves.  It’s supposed to be a clean fight to the finish but when you have all the tactical support of the government why not make things work.  It’s hilarious to watch Lauren struggle with dating both guys and figure out which she likes more while they are using everything they have to win her.  Spy vs Spy is so true and made for some hilarious material.  But then of course danger ensues to add extra spice.

                Was this movie predictable for the most part?  Yes.  Was it still worth seeing?  YES!  OMG I love it.  I can’t wait to see it again and be able to catch everything because I won’t lie there are parts I didn’t hear because I was laughing too hard.  The chemistry between the actors was great and not just romantically but between FDR and Tuck, they played well off one another and it felt like they really were best friends.

                So if you’re looking for a good movie for both guys and ladies I recommend this.

Rating: 5 Stars


                So the most recent movie I saw was Tyler Perry’s Good Deeds.  Now I don’t have too much to say about this one.  It was as the previews describe.  A man who has everything and lives his life in a very predictable and structured way meets a woman and her daughter who are down on their luck.  He helps her and she helps him realize he needs to live his life for him not for everyone else.

                The movie had its share of funny and touching moments as do most Tyler Perry movies.  I do think that Lindsey’s character (woman with daughter) is a bit too angry.  I understand the circumstances and pride and all but she was just so volatile through most of the duration that I found it hard to really sympathize with her.  I knew I should and it was sad what she went through but her anger and rage at good people made it hard for me to really appreciate her.

                I do have to give a special mention to Brian White, who plays Walter Deeds, drunken screw up brother to Wesley (Tyler Perry).  He plays the angry and self entitled role he has very well.  Just the other day I re-watched a handful of Moonlight episodes and saw him as Lt. Carl Davis and it was a very different character but he played it well. 

                This to me anyways is one of those movies you watch once then that’s it.  Not something you could put on anytime and just enjoy. 

Rating: 4 Stars

So there you have my reviews what do you think?  Did you like the reviews?  Movies?  Let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Chris Pine is the only reason I went to see This Means War, but I really enjoyed it! It's always nice for something to exceed expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes he was pretty to look at. Although I have to say I adore the others accent :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, I'm British. I hear accents like Tom Hardy's every day!

      Delete