Tuesday, April 25, 2017

~Top Ten Tuesday~ Book Turn Offs

 
                Hello everyone!  Top Ten Tuesday is just how it sounds, a topic is picked and we put our Top Ten for that in a post and share and check out everyone’s answers.  Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The top ten today is: Book Turn Offs

               So I don't have any real solid things that make me say I won't read a book really but there are some things that make a book less appealing to me and thus less likely to make my TBR or Currently Reading pile.

Non-Fiction: I'm all about going into another world and being surprised.  Non-fiction just feels like school work.

Poetry- If there is some poetry woven into a story that is all well and good but a book of straight poems is a bit much.  I never got into it in school and just can't let myself lose with it as much as other styles.

Historical- So yeah I'm not a huge history gal.  Historical aspects with other fantasy or supernatural aspects are fine but when it's just a straight historical I struggle.  I'm very much a product of my generation and when the female lead is "different" because she has opinions and the general idea of women being powerless and more like property. 

Super long series- I love me some series and I don't mind the length normally.  But picking up a book and seeing it already has 8-43 books already out it seems very daunting.  It's a large commitment and even if the series sounds amazing I'm leery to start I mean that is intimidating as hell!

Religious Books- I just don't enjoy strong religious focused books.  I don't mind a religious character but if the whole plot counts on my religious knowledge we're in trouble.

                 What did I miss?  Tell me what you think of my list in the comments below.  Also please link back to your Top Ten as well so I can check out your list and see what I missed!

2 comments:

  1. It took me awhile to get comfortable with non-fiction books myself. Like you said, they kinda feel like schoolwork sometimes. But I found listening to audiobooks helped for certain types of nonfiction works like memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered trying a couple more recent ones like the Gilmore Girls one or Anna Kendricks or even the Lindsey Sterling, figuring they might be much more relatable but haven't taken the plunge yet.

      Delete