Thursday, March 29, 2018

Movie Corner #5


                Hello happy movie fans!  So I have been horrible at reading the last couple weeks because I have just had so many plans and been out and about.  Good news is that means I’ve seen several movies with friends!  I saw several it's been a pretty great couple of movie weeks!  That said here is what I’ve seen:

Tomb Raider:  Stars
                First I should say I enjoyed the 90’s Angelina Jolie versions as great fun and at one point in time played the original Tomb Raider III PS1 game.  I sucked at it horribly but had fun.  Still I have always enjoyed the character and the stories.  So when I heard a new one was coming out I was both excited and not sure what to expect.  From the trailer I was excited for the story and action.  It seemed more like a prequel of sorts as we learn how Lara became the Tomb Raider that we know and love.  She is hard working and not just taking easy handouts if it went against her morals and I liked that.  She was fun and friendly but determined.  Then we dive into the mystery and things go fast.  The movie is action packed but also gave some really good performances that gave deeper death to the character and what makes her tick.  I really enjoyed myself and look forward to seeing it again. 

Love, Simon:  5 Stars
                So as many of you know I read the book this is based on Simone Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda some time back and reviewed it here.  I was super excited to see it made into a movie.  While it has been a while and some of the specific details were a bit hazy for me I know that I was thrilled with the movie.  My favorite part being when Blue is revealed and the entire audience of the ¾ full theatre gasped loudly.  I love when people who haven’t read the book are shocked by things us book people knew!  Also I found a few Easter eggs in there like some of the books on his shelf (the other book by the author and one from her good author friend) which brought me up.  There was a whole lot of emotions happening but it was a very uplifting and fun movie.  It had my friend and I laughing through large amounts of it and really enjoying it as a whole.  I seriously can’t wait to see this again. 

Annihilation:  3.5 Stars
               So this one I wasn’t sure about.  The trailer seemed beautiful but very vague as to the concept or at least the one I saw.  Still I had some people in my circle who were interested in seeing it and since it only had 2 showings a day I knew I had to see it soon or I would miss the chance like I did with some others so I decided to go for it.  It was very visually stunning for sure from the shimmer to what’s beyond.  I can’t really talk about it as having seen it I understand why the previews are vague because it’s a journey.  An experience.  I did enjoy it overall for what it was and am glad I have seen it but I think it’s a one time watcher for me. 

The Strangers:  Prey at Night:  4 Stars
                This movie was marred by the worst theatre experience I think I have ever had.  I went with a couple of friends who ended up walking out.  While I did force myself to stay most of the movie I was wishing one of the strangers would take out the rude and horrible people sitting behind us.  Seriously these four females yell-talked through the whole movie even taking a lengthy phone call in there.  When asked to quiet down in a polite way nothing but even louder talk.  Not even all of it was movie related either.  So putting that aside and focusing on the portion of the movie I did manage to catch as I am sure parts were missed it was an okay horror movie.  Some parts were uber cheesy but overall the horror aspects were pretty good.  People did stupid things and there was lots of screaming, running, and bleeding. 

Midnight Sun:  5 Stars
                So I have been interested in this movie for a while and this was which I picked to do the advance day opening of.  It looked like a cute sweet movie and the song in the trailer totally gets stuck in my head.  Seriously I have since downloaded it to my phone.  Anywho the story looked cute and made me want to see it.  It had lots of fun sweet moments while telling a story of a girl who is taking her chance at being more than a disease.  It pulls at your heart strings and gives you some laughs.  I really enjoyed this one. 

And last but not least…

Pacific Rim Uprising:  5 Stars
                So when the first movie came out I wasn’t super familiar with it and never saw it until it was on one of the movie channels and I finally saw it.  I really liked it.  I liked how different it was from anything I had seen around that time and when I found out they were making another I knew I’d see it much sooner.  That said it takes place years in the future and it was really cool to see the after.  Sure they saved the day in the first one closing the breach and stopping more monsters from coming up but each battle wrecked the cities and caused huge damage.  So seeing that the world was still working on rebuilding was cool.  Not a magically fix type thing.  We see new characters as well as old and things progress in a very interesting way.  I liked the characters and the action and I look forward to seeing it again and can totally see potential for future movies.
  
*****

                What movies have you seen recently?  What should I see?  This weekend I’m super excited to see Ready Player One!

No comments:

Post a Comment