Thursday, January 21, 2016

Something Strange & Deadly


                Hello everyone!  I’m back, sorry for missing my Monday review but it wasn’t completely typed at that point and I spent my day running around dealing with doctors and insurance and such for my accident last Friday.  It could have been much worse, I’m still waiting to hear about my vehicle but it’s looking like a total loss but my chiropractor has adjusted my neck and shoulder so that is back to normal, the bruising in my wrist has gone down and I’m getting better at functioning with my broken finger.  Yes I broke my first bone ever and let me tell you it might be a minor thing to some but I have a very low pain tolerance and it hurts.  Hence typing is a tad bit more difficult now but I’m working through it just having to remember not to hit it.  Anywho I’d like to share with you the review I didn’t have finished Monday, Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard.  This is the first book in the series by the same name and it is complete.  I am currently reading the final book in the series with Perpetual YA Bookworms Goodreads Group as we decided to do the whole series this month as we prepared for Truthwitch

Rating:  4 Stars

                This story is about the walking dead.  Seriously the dead are rising in Philadelphia back when young ladies wore gowns and proper confining attire and required a chaperone and ones brightest hope was to catch the eye of a ma well off.  Eleanor has a lot to worry about.  Her family has fallen on hard times so her mother is determined to marry her off to a rich man to save the family but with the dead rising and her brother missing Eleanor has other priorities.  When a letter from her brother is delivered, from the dead no less, she knows she must help him.  Luckily her city has hired the Spirit Hunters to protect the city and the exhibit from the dead.  As she spends more time with the hunters she learns more about them and how the world really works in the trenches aside from tea parties and the like.  Things on all fronts become more dire and everything is put at risk.

                Something Strange and Deadly was a fast paced action book.  There was constantly something happening and things going on.  It was a roller coaster ride.  Now it may be centered around the walking dead but it focuses on other aspects as well with the dead being here and there.  There are two types of dead, the slow moving type that are controlled by a necromancer and the fast and vicious hungry ones who are not.  Yes we have necromancy.  I was very interested when I learned this because…umm hello it sounds super interesting.  I was thinking walking dead like zombies which is more what the Hungry are the ones outside of the necromancers power but the others are just animated corpses under someone’s dark control.    Still this book while there is lots of action it has a lot to do with the story unraveling and mysteries being unearthed while we get to know our characters.

                Our MC Eleanor is a bit of a modern girl in the past.  She is out of time as it were in that she doesn’t understand many of the rules society live by and she is out of place with her thoughts and actions.  She slides back and forth sometimes with her attitude with what is acceptable and what is proper and that was just who she is.  She tries to do the right thing by her family and be a proper lady but that is what she normally has issues with snapping back when she realizes her misstep.  Then we have the Spirit Hunters, and the lead is Joseph.  Oh I do love Joseph he is so sweet and proper the perfect gentlemen even in difficult times.  Then Jie, the girl who shows Eleanor there is more to life than dresses and that how others see you can be turned against them.  She is just so fun and quirky I love her oh and she’s pretty kick ass!  Then there is Daniel or rogue inventor.  He’s a bit rough around the edges but I like him he’s such a fun character and I love the way he challenges Eleanor.  Her dynamic with all of the hunters is entertaining and a clear difference from her interactions with the proper meetings with the Wilcox siblings or other members of their society.  The play between the two was nice, seeing her interact with both and how each interaction added to her forming her own views.

                The plot of the story was fast moving and while some items were predictable others were a complete twist.  I really enjoyed the story and pacing overall and was excited to move onto the next story.  I was invested in the characters and that is what matters most when fighting dead. I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below, what did you think of this book/series?  What did you think of the characters, the romance, the walking dead and the steampunk like world?  Also don’t forget only 8 days left in the giveaway for a SIGNED copy of The Rose Society all details here.  That's it for today!


                Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad we are finally reading this series. Really enjoyed this read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so excited to be reading it and then moving to her newest beauty Truthwitch!

      Delete