Monday, April 4, 2016

My Kind of Crazy


                Hello happy readers.  I hope you all had a great weekend, I know mine was a little busy.  Today I have a review of a debut novel that I was highly anticipating this year, My Kind of Crazy by Robin Reul.  I received an eARC of this title from No BS Reviews and the original review is posted here.  I also had my wish granted at NetGalley at the same time so double score. 

Rating:  5 Stars

                So adorable! 

                I went into this now knowing much but the mishap with the prom invite kind of made me laugh and think it would be pretty fun.  It was a fun ride and one I completed easily in one sitting but it was also kind of dark at times.  Reul nicely balance the line of humorous and serious well.  I mean trying to ask out a girl you like in sparklers and then setting things on fire is kind of a great epic fail but to then meet a strange loaner who thinks you are a pyromaniac is a pretty interesting turn of events.  While his crush begins a search for the one who started the fire we see the quirky friendship that develops between these characters. 

                Hank was a pretty typical and average teen guy going through some things not so typical but having a rather hilarious outlook on life despite it.  Still he was captured in a very real way and I felt like he could have been any number of the guys I went to school with.  Authentic.  Peyton on the other hand is an enigma and we keep trying to peel back the layers and get to the real and solid her.  She has her secrets and her life is pretty messed up, that much is clear, and watching as her and Hank connect and bond is fun.  What starts out as fear of being turned in, turns into a unique type of friendship that was fun to watch develop.

                My Kind of Crazy manages to be so many things and while being humorous to the point of almost dropping ones kindle unable to hold it in a fit of giggles, it has a much deeper subject matter from alcoholism, self-harm, neglect, and grief without being bogged down.  It was fast paced and as the title states a bit crazy.  But then who isn’t a little crazy these days! 

                That’s all I can say.  Discovering who these characters are and their mishaps and adventures is the fun part.  Start it and you won’t be able to put it down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment