Monday, April 25, 2016

Rebel's Honor (Crown of Blood #1)

                Hello happy readers!  I hope you had a great weekend.  Mine was spent sleeping and working but I did get some reading done as well.  Oh and the season premiere of Game of Thrones!  I’m also stoked because the next couple of weeks are going to have some amazing books coming out and I think at least 4 or 5 I’ve pre-ordered.  Score!  I’m also going to a signing even this Thursday for The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi and plan to do a giveaway for it as well.  I have a few of those planned actually so stay tuned.  For today I’ll be discussing Rebel’s Honor (Crown of Blood #1) by Gwynn White, a book sent to me for an honest review. 

Rating: 4.5 Stars

                Rebel’s Honor is about Lynx, a warrior princess of Norin, who is bound by treaty of old to marry the crown prince of their conqueror, Lukan Avanov who she has been raised to hate.  Things aren't always what they see as a warrior is sent to the enemy for an arranged marriage neither wants.  She wants to do everything in her power to help bring them down.  Spy games, romance, curses, prophecies and more abound.

                I didn't know a whole lot about this book when I started it, just enough to be intrigued.  In it we get three different perspectives, Lynx, Lukan, and Axel.  All three are in this mess and trying to find the best way to deal with it.  I instantly loved Lynx.  Not going to lie the whole ostrich people and egg raids scared the crap out of me but then again known issue I don't like birds, especially HUGE angry ones who try to kill you.  She is loyal and dedicated to her family and her people.  Oh and she kicks ass.  Axel and Luken, I was not a fan of either of them for the longest time.  I thought they were both….shall we say delicately chauvinistic pigs but as we got to know them better I could see things about them I liked and one grew on me more than the other.  They both wanted something from Lynx and were willing to use her to their ends.

                The world is lush and beautiful (or horrifying see above egg raids).  I felt like I could be there.  There was something for everyone from the political/court suspense to the mysteries being uncovered with magic and curses and prophecies there is so much to keep you flipping the page.  And while there is romance in the book it is not the main focus and I didn't even see any romantic possibilities for over half the book.  Aside from the three main characters there is a vast crew and lots of wheels turning and things happening.  This is also a brutal world.  Threats and schemes galore!  I was caught in this book and flew through it.  I look forward to reading on and figuring out what happens next because that end….yes it needs more.  Bright side is this book two Warlord's Wager and book three Dragon's Fire are already out and ready to devour.  Please share your thoughts and feels in the comments below. 

                Until next time…

1 comment: