Monday, May 15, 2017

Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows #2)

                Hello happy readers!  I made it a whole week without purchasing any books, hence why no Stacking the Shelves this weekend.  Color me surprised myself I sat down to do my post and realized I didn’t have any.  I did go to a mini Harry Potter event in St. Augustine and got to road trip with my BFF so that worked out!  I also hope everyone enjoyed Mother’s Day be it as a child or a mother (including pet moms) I spent the day with mine and made her some cookies.  I also had the chance to listen to some of my new audiobooks on the drive to and from which worked out nicely.  Today I’d like to discuss the book/series I finished; Rise of Fire (Reign of Fire #2) by Sophie Jordan.

Rating: 3.5 - 4 Stars

                I reviewed the first book Reign of Shadows (here) last month having finished the audiobook in one sitting.  I dove into the second audiobook knowing I couldn’t finish in one sitting, despite how appealing it was and the story might have wanted me to do so.  I started it at work and work comes first there but I did manage to get a good chuck finished and then listened in a couple more chucks to finish it up.  Stopping each time was hard as the story kept you listening.  I highly enjoyed the two narrators for Luna and Fowlers POV’s the same ones that did the first book so cheers for continuity. 

                We left off Reign of Shadows in a huge cliffhanger.  Dwellers had just taken Fowler down into the earth and Luna dove in after to save him even though she was confused and made at him for having not told her h was the son of the man who killed her parents sooner.  She had left him and took off on her own but he had found her and saved her but she isn’t a damsel in distress.  She may be blind but she sees more than most and I love how this could be a handicapped and really limit Luna but it only makes her stronger in a world of darkness.  Fowler knows how strong she is and respects that about her knowing she is capable but still he wants to protect her when he can because that is who he is, and that is what she means to him.  I just adore their dynamic.  They save one another.  They don’t leave the other behind to danger but stand together or go after one another. 

                Both Luna and Fowler have a claim to Relhok in their own way and that makes them wanted. When Fowler is injured and Lagonia soldiers offer them to help they have to risk someone knowing them or risk Fowler’s life.  Outside of Relhok they discover that every kingdom has its darkness.  I liked getting to see another kingdom and see the people.  While the first story took place in Relhok we didn’t see much of the inner city it was mostly the outskirts in the wild/open so seeing more from the inner safety of a city was a contrast.  It makes you wonder which dangers are worse dwellers or the evil of man. 

                This book is also the end of the series as far as I can tell.  I didn’t know if that was going to be the case or not and it leaves you thinking it couldn’t possibly end (or was going to end in another horrible cliff hanger like ending) as you get closer to the end with so few minutes/pages left.  It seems impossible to end but then as it happens it just clicks.  Part of me thinks it was a bit anti-climactic but the other part of me thinks it was an awesome twist that just made me laugh so I’m conflicted a bit here.  Would I have liked more?  Yes.  Can I still enjoy the duology as is with the ending?  Also yes.    Would I recommend the series?  Yes.  I enjoyed the overall story and while I think I did enjoy Reign of Fire more than the conclusion I did enjoy the series and they were such quick listens I think anyone can fly through them for easy enjoyment. 

                Until next time…


2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to cut down on my book buying, I have so many to read it's ridiculous. Listening to audiobooks is always enjoyable on trips, glad you have a wonderful time with your mother.

    Great review, I did consider picking up Reign of Shadows, maybe over the summer. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's so hard to not buy all the amazing looking/sounding books! If you do pick it up I hope you really enjoy it!

      Delete