Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha #1)


                Hello happy readers!  So I finished another debut book and I am so excited!  Bella is also doing well she is enjoying the backyard even more now that the grass got cut, but in my defense it rained on all my days off so when was its supposed to be done?   Anywho today I'm so happy to talk about this new debut Children ofBlood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi.  Now I am sorry in advance but I listened to this on audiobook and knew instantly spelling was going to be tricky so I've looked up what I could find without having a physical book to reference, but that aside this book was amazing.

Rating:  5 Stars

                Magic used to be.  Until it disappeared the night of the raid when Zelie watched her mother die and her father be beaten.  When the world changed.  Zelie is a diviner, meant to become a full maji.  She is meant to have magic but even though it is gone she and others like her still pay a heavy price for what they should have become.  After a chance encounter Zelie has one chance to bring magic back to Orisha and strike against the tyrannical monarchy with the help of her brother and a rogue princess.  Still the king and his crown prince are determined to hunt them down and destroy magic for good.  But with magic back in play even in a small part there is much more to see as characters struggle not only with the outside influences but with themselves.

                So this book was amazing.  I was interested to start but once I got into it a small bit I was completely hooked.  Zelie is strong willed, impulsive, determined, and strong headed.  I love her.  She is so fierce and determined and sometimes that gets her into trouble.  Tzain is a loving brother willing to do anything to protect his sister, usually from herself.  But he has a kinder more open heart and softens her.  Amari is completely out of her element but comes into her own as she progresses through the story.  She is a beautiful contrast that just because you live in "luxury" doesn't mean you are worry or problem free.  The palace is a dark place too.  Inan…..he had an interesting story as well and his internal struggle was captivating as the paths connected and crossed.  Everyone was so beautifully written. 

"I won't let your ignorance silence my pain."

                The story of Orisha and what has happened to it.  What is common place just rocked me to my core.  As some of the things happened I just wanted to jump into the book and make them stop or help in some way.  After the book finishes there is an authors note where she brings up similarities to things in our current and very real world that I didn't see at the time because I was so entranced in the world of magic with these characters on this journey but it really pulled the fantasy into reality.  I love that this story is more than just an amazing fantasy story you can enjoy but it has a much deeper meaning which gives it even more depth.

"Courage does not always roar.  Valor does not always shine."

                I can't wait for the next book because we did leave off on a bit of a cliff hanger.  I know there was a lot of stuff happening and we have so much more to do.   There was some twists and turns and I did some serious character swaps throughout the story if that tells you anything.  Everyone is changed in this.  Every character grows in this story and being along for the ride, seeing what shapes them into who they become was amazing.  I loved seeing how one event in particular could put people on such different paths.  I did cry some in this and that made listening at work a bit difficult but yeah I did so have a tissue around just saying.  Adeyemi really crafted an amazing world with characters that make you feel for and with them.  You will be dragged right in there with them on this quest.

                Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment