Monday, May 30, 2016

Movie Review: X-Men: Apocalypse & Alice Through the Looking Glass

                Hello happy readers and Happy Memorial Day.  I hope you all have a good and safe day no matter what your plans are as this is a day many use for fun and parties it is a rather sad holiday for others.  That said I’m working but have made lots of goodies for my crew.  I also had a busy weekend with a birthday party and a double feature of X-Men:  Apocalypse and Alice Through the Looking Glass.  That said since I mentioned last movie review that I want to do a few more of these here and there I thought this would be a great one to do.  First though don’t forget to check out my giveaway open until 6/6 for a SIGNED copy of The Last Star by Rick Yancey here.  Now onto the movies.


 Rating: 5 Stars

                Okay so know as I discuss this I love these types of movies for sure but I’ve never read any of the source material so I have no idea if it’s “faithful” or not this is purely based on my enjoyment in watching the story develop.  I have really enjoyed the newest X-Men movies, I enjoyed the originals but this new set of the younger characters we know so well really are amazing.  Apocalypse takes place in the 80’s some years after Days of Future Past where Mystic is a hero among mutants and Magneto is a wanted man but one who has disappeared while Charles has been running his school and helping mutants understand and control their powers. 

                We’ve had past looks at Magneto, Charles, Raven, Beast along with Quicksilver and even our CIA agent.  However this time we get out first real look at young Jean Grey, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Storm, Psylocke and Angel as well.  Quicksilvers scene in the last movie was one of my favorite scenes because it was just so much fun, and he has a similar scene in this one putting his powers and quirky personality to the test again to a great soundtrack that just makes you laugh.  I dare you to watch it and not at least crack a smile.

                The bond between these characters is beautiful, since the first movie the connection between Charles and Magneto and their friendship and how even on opposite ends of things they have that respect for one another.  They are vastly different and the actors play off one another well.  The whole cast does a great job in my opinion.  Raven as she struggles with who and what she is now, no longer as comfortable in her natural mutant form with everyone expecting her to be a hero.  Magneto and a particular scene in the forest that just starts the whole movie really going forward in a huge way. 

                Apocalypse has tons of action scenes and some good CGI that didn’t seem exceptionally cheesy.  We also got our Wolverine scene in there that again plays well into the whole universe.  There were also some battles fought on the mental front and instead of simply having it be a battle of wills that it is, it’s shown in a my substantial and physical way that shows the depth and severity of it all.  All in all I think it was a great movie and I look forward to seeing what will happen next.




Rating:  4.5 Stars

                This one I had huge hopes for in 3D as the first Alice was the BEST movie I had ever saw in 3D before.  That said my theatre had to readjust the projector during the first 3D trailer so maybe that played into it but the 3D wasn’t nearly as epic as the first.  Again it may have been technical difficulties but while I saw some cool 3D here and there it wasn’t as immersive as the first so that kind of let me down some. 

                The story itself takes place three years after the first, when Alice came back to her world and took charge of her own destiny rather than marry some horrid boy as society would like.  She is yet again facing societies expectations of a woman after returning from her journey as a sea captain she finds things have changed.  As her world is spinning she is pulled back to Wonderland only to find things there have changed as well.  Her dear friend Hatter is fallen ill and only Alice can save him by taking on Time himself.  Yes Time is a person and a thing and it is so convoluted and fun! 

                All the things I loved in the first one were there from the beautiful landscapes and bright and colorful world to the very colorful characters and the wonderful quotes that just make you think.  I enjoyed the story well enough, save Hatter by going through time.  The experience was fun and going back in time we learn more about both the Hatter and the queens while also teaching valuable lessons like the importance of family and of being yourself and with that to not let the world tell you who you will be but to make your own path in it and find your true self. 

                While I really enjoyed all of these aspects I didn’t love it as much as the first be it for the 3D let down and it was a bit harder to follow and really be in there.  While I love Hatter I don’t see where saving his life was worth everyone risking all of Wonderland itself and I find it hard to believe so many would put that to be.  Still really enjoyed it and plan to buy it when it’s out.  That’s all for now I’d love to hear your thoughts on either movie in the comments down below.  Also can I say I’m obsessed with the Pink song in the credits!

                Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment