Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Outside the Comfort Zone

                Hello everyone!  Top Ten Tuesday is just how it sounds, a topic is picked and we put our Top Ten for that in a post and share and check out everyone’s answers.  Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The top today is: Outside the Comfort Zone (recent books I’ve enjoyed)

                So I pretty much stick to reading books in my comfort zone since that’s pretty wide open I don’t have much there.  However, I do find that I read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian/etc type books and then have bouts were I randomly read a contemporary.  I love contemporary but as I reflect back I don’t read nearly as many and since I’ve got a few of those in my sights I’m going to pick some recent contemporary stories that have made me want to read more!

You Were Here by Cori McCarthy- I finished this just this past Sunday and plan to review it Thursday but I flew through it and really enjoyed the story. 
Asleep (review) by Krystal Wade- So this is a type of retelling and a psychological mind play and not the whimsical type of contemporary but it was so good!
Outspoken (review) by Lora Richardson- This was a surprise find for me and I really enjoyed how sweet and uplifting it was. 
This Song Will Save Your Life (review) by Leila Sales- I had this book for a while before finally picking it up and it was both sad and happy and filled with some great music. 
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens (review) Agenda by Becky Albertalli- A great diverse read. 
Eleanor & Park (review) by Rainbow Rowell- It’s Rainbow do I need to say more?  I could have easily picked Fangirl or Attachments as well but this was the most recent read.
Since You’ve Been Gone (review) by Morgan Matson- This title made me think about friendships and also breaking out of ones comfort zone which fits with the theme ;) 
Every Day (review) by David Levithan- This book really got to me and made me think about the way we see the world. 
Anna and the French Kiss (review) / Lola and the Boy NextDoor (review)/ Isla and the Happily Ever After (review) by Stephanie Perkins- These books were just so sweet and amazing and they just hit me in my happy place!
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (review)- I really enjoyed this book and hated how the movie took all the things I loved about it and turned them on their head.  I liked that she didn’t fall to ‘oh unduff me please’ attitude.


                So those are some contemporary books that have made me want to read more of.  Tell me what you think of my list in the comments below.  Which would you recommend so I know which ones to get first?  Also please link back to your Top Ten as well so I can check out your list and see what I missed!

16 comments:

  1. You've got some fantastic books on this list! :-) Some of my favourites! There are some wonderful contemporary books out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I do enjoyed the genre but for some reason I found at times I go through months at a time with none and then one or two sprinkled throughout. But I've been craving more of them recently so yay!

      Delete
  2. There are some awesome books on here :) Glad to see some love for contemporaries!
    here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love them just need to make time to read them on a regular basis.

      Delete
  3. Ooo, I'm curious about This Song Will Save Your Life and I LOVED "Anna." Now I just need to read "Lola" and "Isla." Also, having discovered Morgan Matson via her "Amy and Roger" debut, I'm anxious to read more of her books. I hear Since You've Been Gone is her best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Since You've Been Gone and need to read Amy and Roger! Yes finish out the companion series for Anna so cute and all the feels!

      Delete
  4. Great list! I have You Were Here and I'm looking forward to getting started on it. Here's my list: http://redhousebooks.blogspot.com/2016/02/top-ten-tuesday-1-out-of-my-comfort-zone.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Top Ten! I really LOVED Stephanie Perkins books (especially LOLA!) and The Duff! I didn't think I was going to like, You Were Here as much as I did. It was a good book!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Anna and the others were just so amazing! I'm finishing up my review of You Were Here now to post in a bit but same I expected it would be interesting but I just kind of became captivated.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I'm the complete opposite to you - contemporaries are often my go to! Everyday is one of my favourites and if you enjoyed I'd definitely check out some of his other books - he's one of my favourite authors!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do have some other Levithan books and plan to dive into them as well.

      Delete
  7. i really need to read that Stephanie Perkins series! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every Day was fantastic, wasn't it! So many here I'd like to try - especially The Duff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I wasn't expecting it to hit me like it did but wow!

      Delete