Friday, February 3, 2017

The Edge of Juniper

                Hello happy readers!  So last year I read and reviewed Outspoken by Lora Richardson (review) and really enjoyed it.  When I was asked about reviewing her next book The Edge of Juniper I was more than happy to do so.  Things got a bit crazy and I’m more than a bit behind but I was finally able to read this book in pretty much one sitting.  Would have been one but I got off work and hard to drive home to finish it ;)  So here are my thoughts and feels on it.

Rating:  5 Stars

                Sixteen-year-old Fay is spending the whole summer with her Aunt, Uncle, and cousins in the small little town of Juniper, Indiana.  She is excited for the adventure having been close and loving her week long visits to spend with her cousin Celia.  Though she quickly discovers that things are not what they seem and far from the perfect way she imagined.  Her Uncle has a grudge with the Dearing family in town and no one is supposed to speak with them, off limits.  Not a problem.  Until Fay is left with lots of free time as Celia has a boyfriend keeping her busy most of the time.  Enter Malcolm, the sweet, warm, and attractive boy who caught her eye.  Only one problem, he’s Malcolm Dearing and off limits.  This only makes her think of him even more as the summer and all the happenings going on in Juniper.

                I really enjoyed this one.  It was super sweet in so many ways.  I just adore Malcolm.  Seriously book boyfriend material of the highest quality!  The story was also very real.  It tackled so much in handling so many issues from alcoholism, first love, and all types of relationships and loves both healthy and not so healthy.  Still while some items really tugged at your heart or upset you there was so many other funny or lighthearted scenes that all flowed so wonderfully together.  The story as a whole really came together and I just had such a good time reading it.

                I enjoyed being with Fay as she stayed with her family for eight months and learned so much but mostly about herself.  She came to really know who she is as a person and the self discovery was wonderful.  While I didn't always agree with Fay she had he reasons for things and she was willing to admit when she was wrong.  Malcolm was just wonderful in so many ways and what I think most would adore in a boyfriend.   Celia is so much different from Fay in many ways but at the same time you see the similarities as well.  Their relationship also had me turning the pages to see what would happen. The Edge of Juniper is a beautiful contemporary that you can fly through on a nice lazy day but that might also tear at your heart as well.  I know I got teary in parts.  Falling in and out of love, first love, and family love are just a few of the loves to love about this book.  I highly recommend it. 


                Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment