Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books that were More/Less than I thought

                Hello everyone!  Top Ten Tuesday is just how it sounds, a topic is picked and we put our Top Ten for that in a post and share and check out everyone’s answers.  Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The top ten today is:  Books that are More/Less than I thought

More:
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James – full explination here.  Basically thought no way I’d read them and then once I did I really enjoyed the read and have since re-read several times.  Never saw that coming

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick – this was recommended as a different type of story all together to a friend at the bookstore and she told me the recommendation and then as I read it I found it to be nothing like it was described but I enjoyed it all the same.

Ivory and Bone (Ivory & Bone #1) by Julie Eshbaugh- I’m normally not one for historical fiction type stories but this one really caught my attention.

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir- I had been ready to read this one hearing some hype for it and such but I had been tempering my expectations just in case and wow did this blow me away!

Harry Potter- Okay so I never intended to read this growing up they weren’t my thing (maybe because a boy who used to pick on me read them) but when kids my age read these I was reading my moms adult books having skipped over the whole MG/YA section.  Then after watching the movies years later I realized what I was missing and read as an adult and the rest is history!


Less:
I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson- I’ll probably take some slack on this one but I didn’t like this one as much as everyone.  I just couldn’t get over some personal pet peeves with one of the characters which hindered things for me.

Anatomy of a Misfit by Andrea Portes- I didn’t dislike this just didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped. 

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children #1) by Ransom Riggs- Now don’t get me wrong I still need to finish the last book in this series and I have enjoyed the story but I had much higher expectations for them.

Paper Towns by John Green- I didn’t hate it I just wanted to love it more than I did.


                Tell me what you think of my list in the comments below.  Also please link back to your Top Ten as well so I can check out your list and see what I missed!

22 comments:

  1. Samesies on Miss Peregrine's and Anatomy of a Misfit. I thought the Miss P's was going to be super creepy and MEH, it didn't feel that way at all for me. Anatomy of a Misfit was okay for me, but nothing super memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. Anatomy just...I had higher expectations for some reason.

      Delete
  2. I was surprised to find how much I liked I'll Give You the Sun! Funny.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/02/books-i-loved-much-more-than-i-thought.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked most of the book! Just one character/circumstance rubbed me the wrong way and picked at a pet peeve of mine and I just couldn't get over it. If that thing had been different it would have been a fav re-read 5 star book but it brought me down :(

      Delete
  3. I forgot and probably should have added The Fault in Our Stars to my list. It just really didn't do much for me and I know tons of people are crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Fault in Our Stars well enough, better than Paper Towns anyways.

      Delete
  4. Paper Towns made me "less" list too! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I really didn't like Margo at all and that sort of ruined it for me. I never saw the movie either. I have still never read Fifty Shades, which is surprising because I love steamy romances but I heard that their relationship is almost abusive so I avoided it. I'll probably continue to skip on that one, just in case.

    Great list! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not alone. It's cool not for everyone. I enjoyed them even with their flaws though I will say the movies do tone down much of the book qualities I dislike so cheers

      Delete
  5. I also liked An Ember more than I thought I would, along with the sequel. Its been awhile since I've been excited for a YA series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I loved it! I was so excited I flew though it.

      Delete
  6. Ivy and Bone looks interesting! That cover is very familiar to me, so I suspect I've spotted it around the blogosphere. Oh, and bummer about 'Miss Peregrine.' I have that book that I'm going to try and read before seeing the film, but at this point, I'll probably just watch the film and call it good. ;)

    Having seen Paper Towns, I doubt I'll ever read that one either.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't dislike Miss P's just I had different and much higher expectations for it. It was still unique for sure just not what I was expecting. I still plan to read the final book but it won't be top of my list to fly through.

      Delete
  7. Glad you liked Harry Potter more than you thought you would!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/top-ten-tuesday-97/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes to Harry Potter! Adult friends nagged me for months to read it but I wasn't interested in 'kid's books'. A year later I read it on a whim and now I'm a megafan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right never been so happy to be wrong about something!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful list, there are a lot here I have read and we felt much the same about them. I loved both An Ember in the Ashes and Harry Potter - although I grew up with HP. I really didn't like I'll Give You the Sun or Anatomy of a Misfit, even though so many others seemed to. I have to admit to really hating Paper Towns, I did not get what all the fuss was about and my review got rather ranty haha. Feel free to check out my list here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I think I liked Paper Towns more in the moment because I wanted to like it so much but in hindsight with some distance less so. Also I normally get the evil eye when I say I don't like I'll Give You the Sun glad I'm not alone!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed by Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I expected something magical and totally out of this world... but, it was pretty boring in the end. *hides* I did love the movie, though.
    Great list!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did expect way more from it than I got, and while I liked the concept of adding the pictures and such it just wasn't as action packed. I also did like the movie.

      Delete
  11. Our lists are like, opposites for the most part haha. I DID love An Ember in the Ashes. But other than that... I am the one person on earth who isn't a Harry fan, and I hated (like so much hate) Fifty Shades. And Ivory & Bone made my list on the OTHER side (the disappointing side hah). I also loved I'll Give You the Sun and Paper Towns! So we are seriously just opposites today ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's kind of funny that we are so opposite. Just shows how diverse we all are but we are all still book friends ;)

      Delete