Friday, February 24, 2017

The Problem with Forever

                Hello happy readers!  I’ve been discussing my plans for ApollyCon next month for some time.  I’m thrilled.  It will be my first year attending this one but the other events I’ve been to in the past have been so much fun I am thrilled by the prospect.  There are several authors attending several whom I have read, others I own but haven’t picked up yet, and others I have never heard of but the covers/titles on their pages look amazing.  I’d love to know which authors you are most familiar with or recommend, a list of attending can be found here.  Jennifer L. Armentrout is actually the host, which is epic since she has so many books.  Seriously she puts out so many each year and I need to catch up.  I am working on one of her series but I also had to check out this stand-alone contemporary novel The Problem with Forever and that is what I want to review today.

Rating:  4.5 Stars

                The Problem with Forever follows Mallory “Mouse” as she tries to re-acclimate to everyday life in school after years of homeschooling from her adoptive parents after a traumatizing past that has kept her mostly silent.  Four years out of her nightmares in the best life she never could have imagined she is diving into public high school for senior year.  Already a terrifying experience being new in a huge unknown place for most of us, Mallory has much more pressure on herself to make it work.  Never did she expect to run into Rider Stark, her childhood protector she hadn’t seen for four years, on her first day.  They have a connection, share a past most could never fully understand, and have their own scars to deal with.  Mallory has always been silent but will she stay silent or speak out about what she sees and what she wants. 

                This books was a pretty quick contemporary and while it had some predictable moments for sure it was still a sweet journey.  I enjoyed watching Mallory go from being Mouse, quiet and shy to more confident with herself.  I also enjoyed how the story showed several people who have handled difficult situations in different ways.  Not everyone handles trauma the same and seeing how different people cope with it was nice. 

                I liked seeing through Mallory’s eyes and how there was the struggle between what she wanted to say/do and what actually happened.  She may have the best intentions and even mean to say things but fear is a legitimate and powerful thing that can freeze you in place in any type of spot.  Seeing it from her POV gave a real understanding to it.  How even simple conversations with people you do trust and know won’t hurt you are hard.  I also liked the dynamic of her adoptive parents and how it seemed perfect and that while grateful it put added stress on her to live up to expectations.

                Overall I really enjoyed this journey.  I did predict the majority of it but how the characters developed and got to where they were going was the real part of the story.  I enjoyed it and loved it was a single and complete story all in one.  I also liked how the title really played in.  The idea of making a promise as a child you know is impossible to keep because you have no concept of the idea of forever.


                Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment