Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Legendary (Caraval #2)


                Hello happy readers!  I hope you had a great weekend.  I’m a day late, sorry, but I spent most of yesterday running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to sort out some phone issues and jazz but they are resolved for now at least.  My weekend wasn’t as reading productive as I would have liked but I did get to spend more time with a good friend who is moving several states away tomorrow so that is even better!  Still today I am sharing my thoughts on a very highly anticipated sequel for me, Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber.  I loved Caraval (review) and was thrilled there was going to be more in the world.  I went in thinking this was a duology but then happily after finishing and being very upset thinking this was the end, I found out it is really a trilogy so I have one more book to look forward to!  So yay!

Rating: 5 Stars

                Tella made a bargain with a mysterious criminal that lead to freedom form her father for both her and her sister.  She even got Scarlett out from an arranged marriage.  Still the game is over and she got her part of the bargain now she has to deliver what was promised:  Caraval Master Legend’s true name.  She has one chance to uncover the identity, win the next special Caraval.  Tella throws herself into the game and her mission even as it puts her on a very dangerous path, because this Caraval is different from the rest where you lose yourself to what is only a game, this year is real!  Secrets, doomed love, heirs to the throne, fates, and more press Tella to be as cunning and brave as ever, risking everything she cares about including her life.  Winning Caraval will change the world forever.

                A Caraval doesn’t typically happen this close to end of the last but with Empress Elantine’s 75th birthday she gets what she wants.  Now we follow Tella as she and her sister are free of their father.  Tella though has a different mission, to gain Legends true name and gain the information she has been searching for.  Tella has been on this path for some time and there is a method to the way she acts, where as I found her a bit harder to love in the last book her were see her side of things and see the reasons behind her antics.  She has a good heart though she feels she is never meant for love, based on a drawing of the cards of destiny in her childhood.  This has lead her every step and it all comes down to playing another game of Caraval.


“If you can convince yourself it’s true you can convince anyone.”


                The way this world has expanded from not just the magic of Caraval which is amazing, but the way the mythology of fates was weaved in from the start.  They were mentioned in the past but as a fairytale sort, now it seems they may be very real….or is that the magic of Caraval?  The back and forth of what is real and can it be believed was captivating.  Winding in all the different elements expanding this world was amazing and seamless.  I was rooting for Tella but I wavered in what I wanted her to accomplish as many times she is at cross purposes.

                While this time we do focus on Tella rather than Scarlett we do get to see so many of our returning characters.  I enjoyed seeing Scarlett and Julian again though things aren’t perfect they are fun and many more including Dante.  The story is still that of the game and a large mystery there did feel there was a more romantic feeling in this sequel.  I was totally on board for it because it was so beautifully done and fit with what we know of the characters, unraveling new layers of them as we go.  Tella is not set for romance or love, something most assured the opposite of what she wants and some of the scenes she is in just makes me so happy. 

“Every story has four parts – the beginning, the middle, the almost ending, and the true ending.”




                Now when I first finished this book thinking it was a duology I was a bit upset.  There was so much more I needed.  So much left way way too open for me.  I mean we just found out who Legend was!!!  FYI I totally had it pegged for a long time, even had my suspicions in book one but confirmation is always appreciated.  Satisfaction after an adventure filled journey.  But upon finding out it was a trilogy and I had one more book to look forward to I was in love.  I can see how all of my questions and open things will lead into a thrilling final book in the trilogy.  I can’t wait to find out more! 

                Until next time…
               

No comments:

Post a Comment