Friday, July 25, 2014

Doppelganger by Milda Harris


                I have been reading up a storm this month and loving it.  No dent in the TBR list really as I added about 3 for every book 1 finished.  A solid point for the, pro eternal life, debate I always hear coming up.  One of the books I read recently was Doppelganger by Milda Harris thanks to NetGalley.  I first clicked on this title because, I admit the idea of doppelgangers intrigues me; and the cover reminded me of something from my past and to even now it drives me crazy that I am unable to figure out what that something is.  I’ll remember it at the most random time and shout it out for whoever is in the vicinity to look at me like I’ve lost my mind.  Either way I was excited to receive this book for an honest review. 

                This book is not a brand new release.  Which is great for me because that meant book 2, aptly named Doppelganger 2, was already out.  So I really read both books before I could review.  I had to know what happened next.  Though that simply means I am now waiting for book 3.  I’m focusing my review on book 1 so don’t worry about spoilers.  I read through it pretty quickly, the premise is that of a girl, named Citrus, starting out a normal day, all be is a bit badly as she is running late for school.  She has a run in with her least favorite person and then shows up unprepared for a test only to see herself through the door already taking the test.  Trippy.  Is this a dream?  Is she crazy?   Is it an alien invasion?  As she struggles to cope and figure this mess out she finds someone else out in the hall who happens to also be taking a test inside, a guy she happens to have a huge crush on, Aedan.
                 
                The idea of the book sounded pretty good and the story moved along well enough.  They say everyone has a twin somewhere in the world.  What would you do if you ran into your doppelganger?  Once I got over the name of the lead character, I give a lot of leeway with names but that was a new one.  There was also another character constantly calling her Orange instead.  It was a bit of a strange name in a present day non-dystopian novel, to wrap my head around but after the first few chapters it just blended in.  She was a bit of a spaz too, which at times could be a bit repetitive but she’s a high school girl who is trying to deal with this supernatural mystery that took over her life and with her teenage girl crush issues.  It made me laugh how she is able to realize her train of thought drifts on occasion and how with everything going on thinking about the cute boy beside her should not even be on her mind; which made it enduring.  Honestly, I’m not sure my mind wouldn’t wonder in that mess; a way to think about something less freaky and more normal.  Because let’s face it in high school what could be more normal than dealing with a crush.
 

                If you found out a doppelganger had taken over your life and at least a handful of others, what would you do?  Confront them?  Run?  I can’t say too much more about the plot without giving away the story.  I can say that I think the author did a good job at weaving in fear, the mystery, and the unknown nicely to keep the reader engaged in the story and what happens to the characters.  Clearly I enjoyed the book if as soon as I finished it I went to Amazon and bought book 2 to keep reading right away.  I give it a solid 4 Stars and look forward to book 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment