Friday, August 8, 2014

A little chill in the heat of summer: Frostbitten by Heather Beck


                Happy Friday everyone!  I was contacted a few weeks back about a new series, one I had not heard of at the time, and provided a copy for an honest review.  Frostbitten by Heather Beck is this book.  I was able to dive right into it and really enjoyed it, and planned to get this up a bit sooner but had baby showers and cakes to do and got a bit off track.  See they are not the best but I’m only just starting to work on decorating skills, not a fan of fondant (at this moment it’s almost as evil as chickens towards me).  But now that things have calmed down and I can collect my thoughts I am so happy to share my thoughts of this book with you all.
                The story of Frostbitten is one of great beauty hiding dark secrets.  Our main character, Anastasia Lockhart, is a 17 year old who has been sent to live with her grandparents in a small town of Cedar Falls where her mother grew up and has never returned to.  Not much has changed over the years accept she meets a mysterious, and of course handsome boy named Frost.  She’s warned away from him by everyone including her family but she can’t deny the attraction and the way she feels around him.  She is trying to start over and not be the disorderly girl who was getting into trouble and spiraling downward.  That alone sounded like good meat for a story, boy and girl told to stay away, but Frost also has a secret and one that is far past all of her wildest imaginations.  She finds herself in the middle of a supernatural legend and one that has been part of the towns’ history for years. 
Amazon
                Let me first say the cover itself drew me in.  A beautiful girl in a pretty flowy dress in a snow covered forest with a beautiful white wolf.  Keep in mind I’m in South Georgia and it’s in the high 90’s to the low 100’s here this time of year before humidity and I haven’t seen snow in about 18 years.  I live vicariously through my characters that get to experience not just the story and feels but cooler climates.  Plus I love wolves, so majestic, graceful, and simply beautiful; so points for that.  It is one that gives you enough hints and ideas about the story to be useful but not give anything away.
                I was pretty quick to get into the story and become invested in the characters.  Anastasia is a girl who is deal with some issues and trying to fit in and start over but is having trouble letting go and it is made harder by her peers. It's easy to see the conundrum she's in and you want to know what's happening to her during it.  Frost, yes his name is a bit different but I dig it and after I learned how he got his name, yes there's a reason other than being memorable, it made it even better.  He is both shy and confident and he has his own secrets he's dealing with but also trying to make the most of what he’s been dealt. 
Not related but I mentioned
my baking/decorating attempts
so these were the results.
                One thing with many books in this genre that seems to put some people off is the romance or connection between characters coming too quickly and seeming unfounded or rushed.  While Anastasia and Frost have a connection it was built up more solidly than many I see.  Who isn't going to be interested in a handsome boy who she's told to stay away from?  They meet quickly and have a connection but builds easily from there at a pace I found enjoyable.  There are more relationships in the series as well with family, friends, and members of the small town.  There is a small town vibe where everyone knows everything about you and your family and pretty much have their mind made up about you before they meet you.  Been there, done that, so it rang true.  Oh and I have to mention Chloe, a childhood friend, who picks up like old times.  People change over time and sometimes we lose our friendships but sometimes, those ones we forge live on forever even through time and distance and Chloe could easily be one of my close friends. 

                Well if it hasn’t been clear I really enjoyed the book and can’t wait to read the next one.  Yes more waiting, but it leaves you at a point where there is clearly more story to tell and I can’t wait.  So tell me what you think?  Have you read it?  Do you want to read it?  Share your thoughts below please I want to know what you have to say.  Also, a big thank you again to this sweet and funny author, Heather Beck, who brought this book to my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment