Monday, January 16, 2017

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bones #3)

                Hello happy readers!  Another series I finished at the end of 2016 and also something that really got me into audiobook as more than just in the car type of things is Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.  Now I enjoyed reading the first book but when I went to the audiobook for the sequel having trips and lots of hours in a car planned I think I enjoyed it a bit more.  So when it came time to finish out the series with Dreams of Gods and Monsters, you know I had to audiobook it.  So I’m happy to share my thoughts and feels on the last book I finished in 2016.  I previously reviewed Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight

Rating:  5 Bruxis

                So when we left off in Days of Blood & Starlight Karou had just ended the evil and horrid Thiago and worked the best out of it placing sweet Ziri inside the body to help steer the course into something that will not destroy everyone.  The deception is hard, maintaining expectations while trying to be different is a delicate line.  Enemies must work together to fight a larger threat with Jael with his Razgut helper and his army have made it into the human world causing a large amount of trouble.  So much is happening you need to buckle up.

                Like the first two books there is just something beautiful about the writing.  It's lyrical almost.  I love it.  High props to that and the audiobook was on point I loved the different accents and voices used for the characters and given that characters are from different worlds and places I thought it was well done.  My favorite voice was Zuzana though!  OMG I loved when she came on, not just because she might be my favorite character but the voice used for her just made me want to keep hearing more.  Seriously as Zuzana and Mik were the resident humans I connected with them, well that and they were just so darn cute.  Even when things got super bad and intense they stood by Karou!  That is serious friendship.  They also offer great comedic relief, they know they aren't warriors like everyone surrounding them but they are not easily dissuaded and speak their mind.  Plus the tasks Mik is set to complete, awe! 

                We also get to meet a new character in this, Eliza.  She has a secretive back story from the start and you want to know more and see how she will play in and interact with the story as a whole.  We also see more of others we only heard about, the Stelians.  With them comes so much more information about the world as a whole things are not just Eretz and human world but much much larger.  Added more depth to the story and for the most part I enjoyed them, though I did have some lingering questions. 

               Ziri was a huge favorite as well last book and in this, finally having lost his original form, to give it up the last of his kind to become someone so evil and hateful.  It was so bittersweet to see Ziri as Thiago.  His personality is just so much different from his and to be stuck without wings when you long to fly would be hardest of all.  Ziri is doing the best he can for his people no matter the cost.  Liraz also grew on me.  I enjoyed her well enough in the last book but she was still a bit too standoffish to really get to know and while she is still her, we see so much more of her.  Losing Hazael in the last book really hit her hard.  Seeing more from her perspective and her interactions with some of the characters really made me ache for her as well.  Towards the end though….just wow.

                This all started and I fell in love with the quote.  So of course Karou and Akiva are front and center.  Both are leaders of their own people.  Karou, secretly anyways, leading the chimaera and Akiva with the Misbegotten.  Things between them are so difficult.  So much in the way but yet you see the yearning on both sides.  Seeing from both POVs and seeing what the other wants and thinks and how actions are perceived you just want to reach into the book and push them together to talk!  Their moments are so heartbreakingly sweet.  I love their story and how no matter the challenges and hardships they still have hope. 

                This series was amazing.  I had a few unanswered questions at the end which I would like to have more clarification on.  Especially some of the newer information we were given into the world as a whole I wish we had more time to learn more but I'm not unhappy.  Just questions I would like to know like what ever happened to the ill fated Kaz from book one did her get his?  What about Eliza's so called family, we learned about them and their desires but what happened to them.  Plus the ending left in a way that there could have been so many more stories told.  Still while it gave us something to imagine in the future it also gave us a sense of closure. 

                I am so glad to have finally read this series last year.  I had been meaning to for so long but the size intimidated me.  Now having read them I wish I could re-read/listen to them again for the first time all over.  I'm sure when I re-read in the future I'll pick up even more of the tiny details that I didn't quite notice the first time, and I can't wait.  I enjoyed the characters, the world, the story.  No matter what is going on it always seemed that hope was a resounding point of the story and that is beautiful.  I'd love to hear your thoughts and feels below. 


                Until next time…

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this series again! It's been so long since I read it and I absolutely loved it. One of my favorite series. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do highly recommend it and if you enjoy audiobook I would say to give them a try as well!

      Delete