Monday, January 15, 2018

Busted

                Hello happy readers!  I am super excited to share with you todays review of a cute fun contemporary.  I missed the signing for this because I had to work and this transition to night shift has kicked my butt to the point I didn’t even get to call in to order a book to be signed to pick up next week.  Sigh.  After finishing this book I am even more disappointed because it was so much fun to read.  The book in question, Busted by Gina Ciocca.  I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this from NetGalley and the publishers for an honest review.

Rating: 5 Stars

                Marisa was just a normal girl getting some supplies on her way to see her bestie for a night in when she finds her besties boyfriend up to no good.  After some snooping she confirms he is a cheater and somehow she is now being asked to snoop on purpose for an ex-frenemy, Kendall, who has been back in town and might just have changed her ways.  Kendall wants Marisa to spy on her boyfriend, TJ, as he may have a mystery girl, only to find that as she gets to know TJ to try and get the dirt that she is crushing on him and she might be the mysterious girl….yikes.  There is a lot of snooping to be done and it might be more than a two-timing boy that ends up busted.

                This story first and foremost made me think of Veronica Mars which is a show I absolutely adored.  So win there.  Marisa starts out in a solid win from me because she not about to let someone hurt her friend if she can help it.  Her relationship with Charlie (BFF) reminds me in ways of my own relationship with my bestie.  All the characters really come to life as you read the story and find out the dish on each of them.  Digging into the lives and lies of others is not as fun as one might think and it leads to its own set of problems.  I love the dynamic between the different characters and how it is clear that each one has motives and personalities that make the decisions they make seem legit and true to them.  No one is perfectly blameless or flawless. 

                The story is very character driven and moved pretty fast for me.  I liked the drama that came with the story and I was eager to see how things would play out for everyone.  I had a good time reading this and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a light hearted contemporary or has ever dreamed of being a on the sly PI when in school. 

                Until next time…



4 comments:

  1. Veronica Mars is one of my favorite tv shows. I miss it! So this book is definitely appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I love that show. I still think I'd make a pretty good PI lol

      Delete
  2. I just finished this last night and really liked it! I didn't realize the similarities to Veronica Mars until now, but I definitely see how the book would make you think of the show! The drama got a tad bit confusing for me, but it kept me on my toes the whole entire time! I couldn't stop reading after the scene where TJ gives Marisa that bracelet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does take you down a rabbit hole but I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Yes that was a critical moment and it also made me want one for myself...

      Delete