Thursday, March 1, 2012

First Date- Krista McGee



                 I received this book from Thomas Nelson on NetGalley.com on my Kindle, thanks.  I finished it last night.  So I’ll go ahead and say this isn’t my normal type of book.  It is YA but it’s religious/spiritual, which I normally try to avoid.  For those of you who don’t know me I have no problems with anyone and greatly respect others and their beliefs I just am non-religious for my own reasons. 

                That being said I saw this book with this description visible:

Addy Davidson is the last girl in the country who wants to be on the new reality TV show to win a date to prom with the President’s son.  She’s focused on her schoolwork so she can get a scholarship to an Ivy League college, uncomfortable in the spotlight, never been on a date, and didn’t even audition for it…
               
                After reading the first few chapters of the book I checked back and found the rest which including the category labeling it religious/spiritual.  I saw the cover and that it was like a teen version of The Bachelor, and thought it would be interesting (p.s. I don’t watch the show, I did for the first season that’s it).  I should have read further and that was my oversight.  But I’m glad I didn’t or I might not have read this book.
               
                Yes I liked it.  It was cute.  The overall story was just like my usual YA type books there was just a religious undertone to it.  I didn’t quite understand some of the things the main character talked about because I am unfamiliar with religion but it didn’t hinder my appreciation for the overall story.  I don’t have a ton to say about the book but I did enjoy it.  I read it through in the course of a day and wanted to finish it so I could know how things ended. 

                Addy was a sweet character, she is a Christian who is put on this show without really wanting to be there and surrounded by ‘mean girls’ who don’t have her compassion.  She also struggles, not with her faith but with how to be there, how to tell others about her faith, how to treat others in a way befitting her faith and not let their mean words get to her.  Jonathan is the President’s son and he isn’t like Addy had imagined he’d be.  Kara, another girl there is loud and opinionated but kind to Addy and a true friend.  Hank, he was a fun character to read because he seems so evil and menacing but it’s hard to take him as a serious threat when you read his description and it’s that humor that I enjoyed throughout the book.

            So there you have it a brand new review.  This book came out January 10, 2012.  Tell me what you think.
            

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! You'll have to tell me how you're liking NetGalley. I awarded you a Sunshine Award over on the blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving NetGalley. I don't get everything I request, right now my stats are about 50/50 but all good thus far.

      Awe! Thank you, just got home headed over to check it out.

      Delete