Thursday, March 15, 2018

Movie Corner #4


                Hello happy movie fans!  So with the weather as nice as it was I did try to get a bit of work done in the yard but I also don’t like yard work so it doesn’t last long til I call it a day and I can treat myself to a movie after.  That said here is what I’ve seen the last two weeks:

Red Sparrow:  4 Stars
                So I was intrigued by this movie as I am with most spy movies.  I also was a huge fan of La Femme Nikita back in the day and I have liked most of the JLaw movies I have seen so yeah it was a given I was going to go see this one.  This movie really was a deep spy thriller and went further in places than I was expecting it to many times.  I enjoyed the back and forth in the story and the constant mind games / espionage at play never knowing who was doing what and for what reasons.  I enjoyed the movie and it was just what it claims to be so I’d call it a win. 

Death Wish: 4 Stars
                So this was a movie I was anticipating because I love me some Bruce Willis action.  He is a surgeon who has a pretty great life but then tragedy strikes and even though he’s always played by the rules he finds the police can’t do much to help.  So he starts to take things into his own hands.  I liked the movie.  It was a bit of action, revenge, and humor.  I found it to be an entertaining movie that may have some flaws but I went in for a good time and got it. 

Gringo:  4.5 Stars
                So this trailer looked pretty funny and it was enough to bring me in to see it.  But I was happily surprised the story had a lot more going on than I first thought and I found myself super entertained by the shenanigans going on.  It had a good storyline and fun characters to love or hate.  Harold / Gringo was hilarious and had me cracking up at the convoluted mess he is in and I love it. 

A Wrinkle in Time:  3.5 Stars
                So I never read this book.  I had no idea what it was about really but kids going on a journey to save the ones father and traveling through time or the universe.  Light vs dark kind of thing.  Well I knew the trailer looked beautiful and I was curious.  So there were some pretty amazing scenes that were visually beautiful which I adored but there were others that just really seemed very drab given the amazement I had just saw.  It didn’t balance I guess for me.  The story also while having its beautiful moments and meanings had a lot happening and a lot of the time I wasn’t 100% sure what was going on.  It jumped around without a whole lot of explanation.  Things felt a bit rushed as well.  The beginning of the movie had some beautiful scenes that really make you feel for the characters and real emotions from the actors specifically the vulnerability and pain but then as it progresses into the journey of the story we kind of lose it at many times throughout.  Plus the lack of shock over all the crazy new OMG moments caught me.  Also it included one of my bigger pet peeves involving bullies (that they are cruel and do unforgiveable things but they are really just victims of their own circumstances and that means it’s okay but it’s not it gives them depth sure but hurting someone because you are hurt never makes it okay) that I will never condone or let slide.  Overall I didn’t hate it but I didn’t love it.  I wouldn’t mind checking it out if it was on TV or something but I don’t think I’ll be buying it for my collection. 

*****

                What movies have you seen recently?  What should I see?  This weekend I’m super excited to see the new Tomb Raider and of course the book to movie adaptation Love, Simon.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see Red Sparrow because Matthias Schoenaerts is in it. He's an actor from my country so I'm always interested in seeing how he is in english speaking films. I really can't remember the last movie I saw. I don't watch a lot of movies lately but I'm also looking forward to Love, Simon. It doesn't come in movie theaters here in Belgium until June, though. =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you have to wait longer to see the movie. I just looked up which character was and he did a great job I had very strong feelings about his character...lol

      Delete