Friday, March 1, 2013

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead



                I finally had more than lunch breaks, which go by much too quickly, to read and finished this.  The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead, is the 3rd book in the Bloodlines series (a spin-off series of the Vampire Academy books) so if you have not read them then BEWARE of spoilers…major spoilers.

                So when we left the gang last, rakish misunderstood bad boy Adrian had professed his love for Sydney Sage after kissing her.  Yep we'd seen it building and if you were like me you were ubber excited.  Sydney of course being an Alchemist and having her beliefs that Mori and humans don't mix told him as much.  She may be using magic and being friendly with them against her strict beliefs but she wasn't crossing that line, she was still human after all.
                 They still must work together to keep Jill safe in their hide away in Palm Springs while Sydney begins to question the people she has trusted since birth.  Her whole world is spinning around her as she learns even more from this Marcus Finch.  Uncovering secrets, dealing with her feelings for Adrian, and oh yes a witch on the lose who may be after her.  Can she handle everything in her calm, collected, rational and logical way or has she reached her breaking point?

                I loved this book, I'll go ahead and tell you I give it 5 Golden Lilies easily.  It has all the things you love in this series.  Great overall story and the smaller subplots are on point and really add to the story as a whole.  Then you add in the characters and you have a great time.

                Now I love Sydney, being insider her head especially as she struggles with all of these issues both the obvious ones and her more internal battles she has with herself are well written.  Who doesn't struggle with themselves on what they should do vs. what they want to do and then what ends up winning out.  Grant it I don’t think any of my problems have been this serious but it is always an interesting time in her head.  She has grown over the arch of the books  in a natural progression but still things are a struggle, if even that things being easy is its own struggle.  Then we have Adrian who I have adored since the VA days for his attitude and his essence.  He is so witty and sarcastic, the bad boy with a real good heart *swoon*.  He is a very complex character with a variety of emotions and features and you never know what is going to happen, even more so with his Spirit.  Plus he is determined to help Sage realize they do fit together and he is so cute when he is determined.
A sneak peek at the next cover! Squeal 

                That's all I can say without giving away too much.  So yes you must check it out if you’ve been a fan of Mead's other books in the series.  If you have yet to discover the magic that is The Vampire Academy or Bloodlines go now and start the journey from the beginning, as the next installment is set for November 19, 2013.  Already read it and dying to talk to someone else about it?  Like or dislike my review?  As always let me know below.

                *Coming soon* A bit belated but reviews of A Good Day to Die Hard, Identity Theft, and Safe Haven.  

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eve- I too am a big fan of Richelle Mead and I love the Sydney/Adrian chemistry and overall story line in the Bloodline novels. I read both books and am looking forward to the third!

    In the Indigo Spell, I started to like the character of Sydney so much more, as she started to loose some of her up-tight control and is starting to go more with her gut feelings- and of course, I was thrilled for Adrian who could finally find someone who loves him in return!!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jaybird!
      Yeah another fan. Yes but for the story to be good she had to progress and slowly loosen up. I like this and she still has her hold ups but it's great fun to read. I admit to re-reading parts of that book multiple times just because I get all gushy inside :) I wish Richelle would do a book signing in South Georgia.

      Delete