Monday, October 29, 2018

Check, Please! (#Hockey Vol 1)


                Hello happy readers!  So today I’m here with something new and different.  I know I’ve talked about a couple graphic novels before, ones for the series I already read and loved but I have now read a graphic novel on its own and I loved it!  My first is Check, Please! (#Hockey Vol. 1) by Ngozi Ukazu.  I picked this up because it looked adorable yes, but also because I was going to an event and she was the only author I hadn’t heard of and have something to get signed and that wouldn’t do.  I’m glad I got it because it was great fun.  My thoughts and feelings on it below but also if you read graphic novels I would love some suggestions for future adventures! 

Rating:  5 Stars

                So this is a webcomic series in book form.  We focus on Bitty, a former junior figure skating champion, vlogger, and baker who is a freshman at Samwell University.  He is also on the hockey team, which is much different from the co-ed hockey he was used to playing in Georgia because as the title suggest there is checking.  Oh and a cute moody captain Jack.  This is the first half of a coming-of-age story about hockey, bros, and trying to find yourself during the best four years of your life. 

                I wasn’t familiar with this webcomic but knew the author was going to be at the event and as the only author there I didn’t own something from or have any idea of her work I wanted to check it out.  Amazon had this handy preview option with lots of clips and I found it totally adorable so yeah I snagged it so I could read the whole thing.  That said it was well worth the price as the art was beautiful and fun and the story had just as many feels as the books I am used to reading in the same area.  I never really took the time to notice how much talent it takes to project so much of the story through a visual way when text space is limited.  Still Ukazu managed to really show you these characters and make you feel like you know and care for them in so few words.  This story is so much fun and I found myself laughing constantly. 

                Bitty is amazing.  All of the characters are amazing really but Bitty.  I adore him.  He is so sweet.  I just love his epic need to bake and be positive.  As I read he made me want to strive to do better in seeing things more positively.  Even when things are hard and could easily pull one down he just keeps on going and being himself and I think everyone can learn something from him there.  The mix of hockey, college life, and the comradery of teammates was perfect. 

Pardon the horrible selfie!
                Having talked with the author/artist and how she came up with the series was amazing.  Something someone said in one of her classes just sparked this amazing little story and I love it.  My book even has an extra Bitty drawn in the front at the event by Ukazu and it is even better because she did it in seconds and I’m honest I can’t even draw a stick figure well so I adore when authors doodle in my book at signings! I am looking forward to the second half of this series.

                Until next time…

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I love this comic so much! I totally agree with what you said about how Bitty makes you want to strive to be a better person. He is such a sweet character amongst so many other great characters. I wish I was living in the Haus with them all :(
    Because you liked this graphic novel, I recommend The Backstagers (funny and adorable comics about the magic of working backstage in theatre) and you might also like Bloom (a soft and sweet romance story set in a bakery, which comes out next month!)
    I'd love to know if you give either of these a chance!

    ReplyDelete