Monday, November 6, 2017

Wolves & Roses (Fairy Tales of the Magicorum #1)

                Hello happy readers!  I hope you all had a fantastic weekend yet again.  For me I worked but I also had lots of time to read and drink some tea (I got a simple electric kettle for me and my co-worker to use) which I call a win.  Sinuses are starting to act up but I'm hopeful that will pass.  However, today what I'm thrilled to talk about is a new book that came out last week on Halloween, Wolves and Roses (Fairy Tales of the Magicorum #1) by Christina Bauer.  I had previously gave a quick review on a sampler I got a few months back and then was lucky enough to get an ARC thanks to NetGalley and Monster House Books.  As the book came out last week my pre-ordered copy has also arrived so yay!  This is book one in a new series by an author I already adore.

Rating: 5 Stars

                Wolves and Roses is a fairy-tale retelling with a modern and unique twist.  Bryar Rose is almost eighteen and one of the Magicorum-part of three magical races of shifters, fairies, or witches and they follow a fairy tale life template.  Bryar's is Sleeping Beauty.  She isn't too fond of this and has no desire for it.  Some parts make sense but others couldn't be further from the truth.  Like the part where she can't stand her so call Prince Philpot but does have dreams of a hottie and a compulsion with finding ancient papyri from Egypt.  So  not the typical Sleeping Beauty she is supposed to be.  So when she meets the literal man of her dreams the powerful werewolf Knox her already interesting life takes an unexpected turn.

                I already adore this author and her other series but this one was something new and exciting.  I love how quickly her books fly by.  It's the style of writing that just go straight forward no holds barred where you are captivated in every second and don't realize where the last few hours went.  There is a beautiful middle between kick butt female characters, action, mystery, magic, romance, and drama!  It's a magical little bubble full of all the feelings you want in a story.  I was instantly intrigued with Bry and her life.  Anytime she got too excited or wound up she'd start to have an "episode" and could freeze like her SB counterpart if she didn't take her meds.  Kind of sucks.  But as we go on there is much more to the story and you just feel for her.  Who wouldn't want to live their own life and not have it pre-arranged for her?  Then her bestie Elle, whom I adore, and her constant cons were just amazing.  Had some White Collar and Leverage feels come up, what can I say I love a good con story. 

                And of course we have Knox, the second POV in the story.  I dig his story as well.  A reluctant leader type.  Powerful and flawed.  Broading and sexy.  He has his reasons to brood don't get me wrong and he makes some mishaps along the way but I loved his POVs and hearing him have internal debates with his wolf they had me cracking up.  His friendship with Alec is grounding.  It's the male version of Bry and Elle.  I love that while they do spend time together they still have their special bond between original friends.  That is important.  I love how the friendship is strong and plays an important part and not just to talk about boys (or girls for the guys) though there is some of that.

                As for the story itself there is a lot going on.  Not only did we get to know and love all of these characters as well as despise some others.  We have a larger hunt for a magical fountain going on and tons of little side plots afoot including Bry finding herself.  I can't say much more there because I don't want to give away any of the fun but with the Denarii and all the different types of magic in the world and how they interact with the modern world I just love it and can't wait to see more.  I enjoyed this story and am looking forward to Spring of 2018 for the next book Moonlight and Midtown so I can see what happens next.  I highly recommend this series to anyone who is a fan of retellings, magic, or just an intense fast paced story!


                Until next time…

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh this sounds great, I shall have to check it out!! I love that there's a focus on friendship and the fairytale life templates sound intriguing. Hope you'll stay healthy, but all the tea should help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is something different and fun to enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I love the cover of the book with that gorgeous wolf!

    ReplyDelete